Saturday, December 27, 2014

christmas wreath cookies with soft frosting



For my youngest son Micah's daycare Christmas party this year, I signed up to make cookies. At the time, I didn't know what kind of cookies I was going to make. But as Christmas got closer, I knew exactly what I wanted to make - inspired by both my Christmas wreath cupcakes a few years ago, and my sugar cookies with soft frosting, I decided to make Christmas wreath cookies with soft frosting!


I started by making a batch of my sugar cookie dough (recipe in my new book!), and rolled it out to about 1/8 inch thick. Then I used a simple round cookie cutter, plus the back end of a large star piping tip, to create my wreath shape. Then I baked them at 350F for about 11 minutes.


Once the cookies had cooled, I whipped up a batch of buttercream frosting, and tinted it leaf green. Then I filled a piping bag fitted with a Wilton #352 leaf tip, and piped a row of leaves around the perimeter of my wreath cookies.


Next, I piped a second row ...


and then a third row.


I finished it off by sprinkling a few red and pink nonpareils on the top.



It took a while to get all the leaves piped on, but when I was finally done, the cookies looked adorable!


Although my husband prefers cookies iced with royal icing, I kind of like the combination of soft frosting with sugar cookies because of the creaminess compared to royal icing.



And I also like it because the combination reminds me of the grocery store bakery cookies that I loved to eat as a kid. Except these are better. ;)


Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment