Thursday, February 3, 2011

homemade oreos


I'm back from 2 1/2 weeks of vacation in Hawaii!  We were visiting my husband's family for a "late Christmas" with them.  Since I didn't bake at all during vacation, and thus have no baked goods to post about, I'll show you what I made before our vacation!

I made a few desserts this year for Christmas, which included homemade oreos.  I had envisioned a fresh, chocolatey cookie filled with creamy goodness that would far surpass any store-bought oreo.  Sadly though, these cookies did not live up to my expectations.


My first mistake was the cookie recipe I used (usually epicurious doesn't let me down, but in this case maybe I should have looked for a Martha recipe?).  The cookie came out very crumbly - but I didn't want crumbly, I wanted a substantial and dense chocolate cookie!

And the other poor decision I made was the filling that I chose to make.  I wanted a white filling, but didn't want to use white chocolate ganache (I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate), and I also didn't want just a regular vanilla buttercream, so I settled on making a nice cream cheese filling.  Unfortunately, this resulted in a melty filling that didn't hold up well once out of the fridge.

I think next time I'll just forego the white filling and make a dark chocolate ganache filling instead.  Or maybe I'll just stick to making macarons. :)


8 comments:

  1. Wow - they look beautiful and totally yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad they didn't turned out as you wanted. I've been looking for a good chocolate cookie wafer recipe (like oreos cookie part), maybe this is something that would work for what I need it for, since it was crumbly.

    Congrats on the Top 9 today. You photographed and presented it beautifully. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether they turned out perfect or not they sure look it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michele,
    What a great introduction for a newcomer!I found out your blog at foodbuzz and i loved it.
    I'll follow you and your sweets...

    Kiss,
    Rita

    http://bembons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photograph sure fooled me- they look delish! How did you get the watermark/logo printed on your photo?

    ReplyDelete
  6. great photos... I would have thought these tasted amazing!! I absolutely love and appreciate the honesty of this post. Very refreshing...keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone! i will try making them again with a different cookie recipe and post the results!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Silky Sienna - i use picassa to add text to the pictures as my watermark, since i don't have photoshop :(

    ReplyDelete